|Lucerne Valley, California from
Lucerne Valley is a census-designated
place located in the Mojave Desert of western San Bernardino County, California.
It lies east of the Victor Valley, whose population nexus includes Victorville,
Apple Valley, and Hesperia. The population was 5,811 at the 2010 census.
Lucerne Valley is located 19 miles
east of Apple Valley and 20 miles downhill north of Big Bear in the southern
reaches of the Mojave Desert. It is surrounded by several mountain ranges
which include the Granite mountain range, the Ord mountain range, and the
San Bernardino mountain range. The heart of Lucerne Valley is located on
the crossroads of State Route 247 (Old Woman Springs Road / Barstow Road)
and State Route 18. Yucca Valley lies 45 miles east via Route 247/Old Woman
In San Bernardino County, Lucerne
Valley's area is also identified as County Service Area 29. While Lucerne
Valley's "town limit" signs are within 2 miles of each other (technically
the signs are just "community markers", because San Bernardino County requires
cities and towns to be incorporated, and the County doesn't recognize villages
or townships) the County Service Area Limits are much larger: in the west
to Joshua Road (unpaved road east of Milpas Rd. on Hwy. 18), to the north
at the 4000 foot height of Ord Mountain on Highway 247, to the south at
the entrance to Cushenbury Canyon on Highway 18, and 2.5 miles east of
Camp Rock Road.
According to the United States Census
Bureau, the CDP covers an area of 105.6 square miles (273.5 km²),
all of it land.
The 2010 United States Census
reported that Lucerne Valley had a population of 5,811. The population
density was 55.0 people per square mile (21.2/km²). The racial makeup
of Lucerne Valley was 4,507 (77.6%) White, 170 (2.9%) African American,
106 (1.8%) Native American, 90 (1.5%) Asian, 0 (0.0%) Pacific Islander,
676 (11.6%) from other races, and 262 (4.5%) from two or more races. Hispanic
or Latino of any race were 1,447 persons (24.9%).
The Census reported that 5,780 people
(99.5% of the population) lived in households, 31 (0.5%) lived in non-institutionalized
group quarters, and 0 (0%) were institutionalized.
There were 2,176 households, out
of which 685 (31.5%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 954
(43.8%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 280 (12.9%)
had a female householder with no husband present, 157 (7.2%) had a male
householder with no wife present. There were 146 (6.7%) unmarried opposite-sex
partnerships, and 14 (0.6%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 632
households (29.0%) were made up of individuals and 255 (11.7%) had someone
living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size
was 2.66. There were 1,391 families (63.9% of all households); the average
family size was 3.28.
The population was spread out with
1,424 people (24.5%) under the age of 18, 452 people (7.8%) aged 18 to
24, 1,214 people (20.9%) aged 25 to 44, 1,780 people (30.6%) aged 45 to
64, and 941 people (16.2%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median
age was 42.7 years. For every 100 females there were 106.1 males. For every
100 females age 18 and over, there were 105.4 males.
There were 2,949 housing units at
an average density of 27.9 per square mile (10.8/km²), of which 1,454
(66.8%) were owner-occupied, and 722 (33.2%) were occupied by renters.
The homeowner vacancy rate was 4.3%; the rental vacancy rate was 9.0%.
3,800 people (65.4% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing
units and 1,980 people (34.1%) lived in rental housing units.
An attempt to construct a golf course
and install utilities for residential/commercial zones called "Rancho Lucerne"
began grading north of the High School location before embezzlement charges
filed against the financier caused the project to shut down in 2001.
Other projects are meeting with
mixed reactions from residents and state/county officials, including Solar
Power and Wind Turbine plants as well as Water Drilling proposals for the
Los Angeles' centric Department of Water and Power, who recently cancelled
an attempt to install a 2 mile wide water and power corridor in the Southern
half of the town to transport distant resources into Los Angeles.
San Bernardino County operates a
Sheriff Substation and a full-time staffed fire station within town limits.
Cal Fire also has a fire station east of the Town between Lucerne Valley
and Johnson Valley. California Highway Patrol provides traffic enforcement
Sites of interest
Johnson Valley to the east
of Lucerne Valley is a popular off-road vehicle recreation site known for
its steep, rocky mountains and several dry lakes. Recent expansion plans
for the Twentynine Palms Ground Combat center from the United States Marine
Corps threatens to close the majority of the OHV area for 25 years or longer,
including a seasonal race called "The Hammers" a few miles north of the
town that brings annual business to Lucerne Valley.
Lucerne Valley's two dry lakes,
Lucerne Dry Lake and Rabbit Springs Dry Lake are used for various activities.
The Dry Lakes are used frequently in filming projects; notably Rabbit Springs
Dry Lake was the scene for the attack sequence in Stagecoach filmed in
1938. Also, actress and singer Selena Gomez shot her music video for A
Year Without Rain here.
Chimney Rock, a registered landmark
of the State of California, is located on the mountains north of Highway
18 at the Rabbit Springs Road junction as the site of the last battle between
settlers and Indians in the Mojave Desert. An official landmark is at Highway
18 next to the welcome sign at the western border of town.
exist in Lucerne Valley:
Pioneer Park (next to the County Fire Station), which is the main park
for San Bernardino County CSA 29 used in most public events.
Lucerne Valley Museum is also located at Pioneer Park with self-directed
Midway Park (at Midway and Rabbit Springs Roads), which has the Midway
Schoolhouse and Equestrian Arena.
former resident who is currently the youngest person to climb Mt. Everest.
father of Paula Abdul, who started a bottled water company called Crystal
Hills in 1996 based in Lucerne Valley's foothills.
(The company was sold to a private firm and closed in 2005.)
|Daggett, California from
Daggett is an unincorporated town
located in San Bernardino County, California in the United States. The
town is located on Interstate 40 ten miles (16 km) East of Barstow. The
town has a population of about 200. The ZIP code is 92327 and the community
is inside area code 760.
The town was originally founded
in the 1880s just after the discovery of silver in area mines. In 1882,
the Southern Pacific Railroad from Mojave was being completed in the area
and it was thought that a good name for the town would be Calico Junction.
But this name would be too confusing since it was right next to Calico,
where the silver was uncovered. It was decided to name the city after then
Lieutenant Governor of California, John Daggett, during the Spring of 1883.
For two years, it was the terminal
of the twenty-mule team run from Death Valley, but after one of their swampers,
William Pitt was lynched, the Pacific Borax Company made the terminal in
Not only did silver define Daggett's
history, but borax was also important to the city's economy. This borax
was being mined, around the turn of the century, out of the Calico Hills
nearby. This operation required many more laborers to come to the city
to help. The Borate and Daggett Railroad (more below) was built to haul
borax ore from the mines up in the hills down to Daggett.
Daggett is the location of Daggett
Airport. The facility is a general aviation airport serving the Barstow
area. It is also the regional weather information center. The airport was
built as a modification center for the Douglas A-20 Havoc bomber aircraft
that were sent to Russia as part of the Lend-Lease program during World
Daggett is part of the Silver Valley
Unified School District. The Silver Valley High School is located at 35484
Daggett/Yermo Rd, Daggett, CA 92327, (760) 254-2963.
As of 2003, 1000 people lived in
Daggett, though nearly 1500 live in the surrounding area. Only about 200
people actually live in the town. The town's elevation is approximately
2,000 feet (610 m).
Solar Power Generation
The worlds first commercial solar
power plants, SEGS I (built in 1984) and SEGS II (built in 1985) of the
SEGS network are located in Daggett.
Daggett was also home to a unique
solar thermal energy plant named Solar One, a pilot project which was operational
from 1982 to 1986. The plant used mirror-like heliostats to aim sunlight
at a collecting sphere located on a solar power tower (a type of solar
furnace), through which oil flowed. The large quantity of sunlight reflected
on the sphere superheated the oil, which was then used to create steam
for power generation. The plant was upgraded in 1995 as part of the Solar
Two project. Solar Two substituted molten salt compounds instead of oil
as an energy storage medium.
During calibration of the power
plant's thousands of heliostats, a ball of glowing light was sometimes
seen in the nearby area. This effect was caused by the heliostats focusing
sunlight onto a specific point. As the intensity of the light increased,
it reflected off dust in the desert air. This phenomenon was sometimes
seen by passersby on the nearby highways 40 and 15.
Solar Two was decommissioned in
1999, and the facility was converted in 2001 into a gamma-ray astronomy
telescope. The facility is now known as CACTUS (Converted Atmospheric Cherenkov
Telescope Using Solar-2). CACTUS, which is operated by the University of
California, Davis but owned by Southern California Edison, operated from
late 2004 until late 2005.
On November 25, 2009 the Solar Two
tower was demolished The site was levelled by Southern California Edison.
All heliostats and other hardware were removed. Plans are in place to develop
a training facility for Southern California Edison to train personnel on
construction and maintenance of high power transmission lines and towers.
Rail freight is provided by BNSF
Railway and Union Pacific Railroad on the BNSF Needles Subdivision. Train
service is very frequent on the line as this line goes to Chicago.
Daggett appears in The Cardigans'
video for "Favorite Game."
|Borate and Daggett Railroad from Wikipedia
The Borate and Daggett Railroad was a narrow gauge railroad
built to carry borax in the Mojave Desert. The railroad ran about 11 miles
from Daggett, California, USA to Borate, California, USA.
Francis Marion Smith originally intended to use mule teams
to carry borax ore to Daggett until he tried to use a steam tractor called
"Old Dinah" to carry the ore instead. The tractor broke down too often
and was eventually retired. In 1908, Smith finally began to build a 3ft-gauge
railroad to carry the ore faster than the mules and the tractor.
The railroad owned 2 steam engines, both Heisler locomotives.
They were named "Francis" and "Marion" after Francis Marion Smith, the
"Borax King" and founder of Pacific Coast Borax Company. Ore from the Calico
Mountains was carried in wooden, side-dump ore cars. A few odd flatcars
completed the roster of rolling stock.
In 1907, the ore at Borate began to run out of fresh borax
deposits. Once Smith discovered richer borax deposits in Death Valley,
he moved his headquarters there and the last B&D steam train ran into
Daggett about two years later.
The two locomotives were stored away in Daggett for a
while until 1913 where they were taken to Ludlow, California to work on
constructing the Death Valley Railroad, another one of Smith's narrow gauge
lines. Francis was the engine sent to Death Valley, but Marion was thought
too old for service and was cut up at the engine shops. After the Death
Valley Railroad shut down, Francis was moved to the Nevada Short Line Railway
to work until he was sent to Round Mountain, California to work for the
Terry Lumber Company. In 1919, Terry Lumber sold the locomotive to the
Red River Lumber Co.
The locomotive was lost without trace by 1920 and its
current whereabouts are not known.
After the railroad ceased operations, some of the equipment
was shipped to Ludlow, California. Still later, it was used to construct
the Death Valley Railroad.
History of "Francis"
2-truck Heisler locomotive #2 "Francis" was built at the
Stearns Manufacturing Locomotive Works of Erie, Pennsylvania in 1899 with
the plans of Charles L. Heisler with the build number of #1026, and worked
for the following railroads:
Borate and Daggett Railroad; Daggett,
Death Valley Railroad; Death Valley
Nevada Short Line Railway; Oreana,
Terry Lumber Company; Round Mountain,
Red River Lumber Company; Unknown
It is not known where the engine's current location and
|Tonopah and Tidewater Railroad from Wikipedia
T&T, and then combined again in 1918 after the demise
of the Las Vegas and Tonopah Railroad. The T&T owned and ran both lines
under a "new railroad identity" from 1920 until January, 1928.
|The Tonopah and Tidewater Railroad, the T&T, was
a class II railroad extending roughly 200 miles through remote reaches
of the Mojave Desert from the Santa Fe Railway railhead at Ludlow, California,
through Death Valley and Amargosa Valley, terminating at the mining towns
of Tonopah and Goldfield in the Great Basin Desert in Nye County, Nevada.
The railroad was listed as a common carrier, however it was built by Francis
Marion Smith the "Borax King" and his Pacific Coast Borax Company primarily
to transport borax to processing and market. The line is now completely
Construction and territory
Grading began on the Tonopah and Tidewater Railroad -
T&T line on July 30, 1905. 50- and 65-pound rails were laid starting
on November 19, 1905. The line was completed on October 30, 1907, with
the T&T tracks ending at Gold Center, Nevada. From Gold Center the
T&T reached into Beatty, Nevada with joint trackage rights with the
Brock Road Bullfrog Goldfield Railroad. The T&T also reached Rhyolite,
Nevada over the Bullfrog Goldfield trackage via the connecting wye at Gold
Center. From 1908 to 1914 the Bullfrog Goldfield Railroad, which also serving
the mines around Beatty, was combined into the
Abandoned bed of the Tonopah and
Tidewater Railroad, crossing
Soda Lake at Zzyzx, California.
The T&T also had a 7-mile (11 km) branch that ran
from its mainline at Death Valley Junction, California to the Lila C Mine
with the station named "Ryan". At Horton, California the T&T separated
from the narrow gauge Death Valley Railroad - DVRR. The DVRR ran for 21
miles from Death Valley Junction west to Devar, later renamed Ryan, and
different than the Lila C. Mine's Ryan, via Colmanite and was abandoned
in 1931. The T&T branch had 3 rail tracks (both narrow and standard
gauge) from Horton to Death Valley Junction. The T&T branch was built
in 1907 and the DVRR was built in 1914. The branch to the Lila C. was removed
not long after all operations were transferred to Devar - Ryan.
Originally the railroad intended to build from Las Vegas
to Death Valley but grading was terminated in 1905 due to rate problems
with the San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake Railroad. The "San Pedro,
Los Angeles and Salt Lake Railroad" was later shortened to "Los Angeles
and Salt Lake Railroad," and is the present day Union Pacific mainline
between Los Angeles and Salt Lake City.
Once the mining boom ended, the railroad struggled to
survive, as borax shipping came to comprise the majority of its business.
After the borax mining and operations were moved from the Death Valley
region to the Boron, California mine and facilities in 1927, the line relied
upon whatever traffic could be found. Over most of its existence, U.S.
Borax (USB) had made up the losses from the railroad's operations. Discussions
for cessation/abandonment were started as early as 1930. After the major
flood of 1933, Ludlow was abandoned and operations ran north from Crucero,
a Los Angeles & Salt Lake Railroad railhead. The 26 miles (42 km) of
track between Crucero and the T&T's connection with the Santa Fe Railway
at Ludlow was placed out of service on October 8, 1933. After the flood
of 1938, applications for abandonment were pursued.
By 1940 the entire line was out of service and on July
18, 1942, scrapping began at Beatty and terminated a year later at Ludlow.
Final abandonment with the I.C.C. was approved on December 3, 1946.
Many stops along the railroad were named for associates
of Francis Marion Smith
Rasor - named for Clarence Rasor,
Soda Lake, later renamed Zzyzx, California
Baker, California - named for Richard
C. Baker, Smith's business associate
Silver Lake, San Bernardino County,
Dumont - named after Harry Dumont
who ran the company's San Francisco office
Sperry - named after Smith's niece
Charlotte Grace Sperry
Zabriske - named for Christian Brevoort
Zabriskie, superintendent at Columbus Marsh later in charge of New York
Gerstley, California - named for James
Gerstley, Smith's business partner (and later U.S. Borax President from
Evelyn, California - named for Evelyn
Ellis, Smith's wife
Horton, California - named for the
T&T's trainmaster, Ben Horton
Death Valley Junction, California
Ryan, California - named for John
Ryan, Smith's trusted supervisor
Lila C, California
Bradford Siding, California
|Pacific Coast Borax Company from Wikipedia
Storey Brothers Borax Co. When the Storey Brothers interests
were acquired subsequently in 1873, the name was shortened to Smith Brothers
Borax Co. A few years later (circa 1884) it was changed again to Teel's
Marsh Borax Co. In 1880, the separate and previously existing Pacific Borax
Company (with no "Coast" in the name) was acquired by Smith. Frank Smith
also developed holdings with his business associate William Tell Coleman
at the Harmony Borax Works as well as the Meridian Borax Company, which
were subsequently combined to form the Pacific Borax, Salt & Soda Company
in 1888. The Pacific Coast Borax Co. name was not adopted until Smith acquired
all of Coleman's borax interests in central Nevada and California, after
Coleman's bankruptcy, and incorporated them all under the new company name
|The Pacific Coast Borax Company (PCB) was a United States
mining company founded in 1890 by the American borax magnate Francis "Borax"
Smith, the "Borax King"
The roots of the Pacific Coast Borax Company lie in Mineral
County, Nevada, east of Mono Lake, where Smith, while contracting to provide
firewood to a small borax operation at nearby Columbus Marsh, spotted Teels
Marsh while looking westward from the upper slopes of Miller Mountain where
the only nearby trees were growing. Eventually, to satisfy his curiosity,
Smith and two assistants visited Teels Marsh and collected samples, that
proved to assay higher than any known sources for borate. Returning to
Teels Marsh, Smith and his helpers staked claims and laid the foundation
for his career as a borax miner.
With the help of his older brother, Julius, who came west
from the family home in Wisconsin, and financial support from the two Storey
Brothers, operations began in 1872 under the name, Smith and
Twenty Mule Team Wagon, in Death Valley.
The Harmony Borax Works were part of what was acquired
from Coleman by Smith in 1890. The borax was shipped via the Death Valley
Railroad that the company built to the east, from Ryan, California to Death
Valley Junction, California. It then transferred to the Tonopah and Tidewater
Railroad (T&T) running from the Amargosa Valley south to the Atchison,
Topeka and Santa Fe Railway railhead in Ludlow, California. The Borax Museum,
located in Death Valley National Park, has a T&T locomotive on display.
As Death Valley mining ran down Smith developed new ones
in the Calico Mountains near Yermo, California, and built the Borate and
Daggett Railroad to haul product to the railhead in Daggett, California.
Later the company developed methods to process material from Searles Lake
in the Searles Valley, building the company town of Westend, California
and a siding on the Trona Railway for shipping to the railhead at Searles,
One of the first reinforced concrete buildings constructed
in the United States was the Pacific Coast Borax Company's refinery in
Alameda, California, designed by Ernest L. Ransome and built in 1893. Christian
Brevoort Zabriskie joined the company in 1885, became its vice president
and stayed until 1933. Zabriskie Point above Death Valley is named in his
In 1926, the Pacific Coast Borax Company created a subsidiary
called the Death Valley Hotel Company to construct a Mission Revival style
luxury hotel near the Furnace Creek springs in the foothills of the Funeral
Mountains overlooking Death Valley. The Furnace Creek Inn opened in February
1927, with transport via the motor-coach from the Ryan station of the Tonopah
and Tidewater Railroad.
20 Mule Team Borax
The company established and aggressively developed and
marketed the 20 Mule Team Borax trademark in order to promote the sale
of its product. The name derived from the Twenty Mule teams that were used
to transport borax out of Death Valley in the 1880s from Harmony Borax
Works near Furnace Creek Ranch owned by William Tell Coleman at that time
and sold to Smith in 1890. They also produced Boraxo hand soap. The popular
radio and TV series Death Valley Days was hosted by "Borateem-pitchman"
and future president Ronald Reagan.
Corkhill Hall - Amargosa Opera House
In Death Valley Junction, California in 1923-24, the Pacific
Coast Borax Company constructed their Civic Center at a cost of $300,000.
Designed by architect Alexander Hamilton McCulloch, the U-shaped complex
of Spanish Colonial Style adobe buildings included company offices, a store,
an employee dorm, a 23-room hotel, dining room, lobby, gymnasium, billiard
room and ice cream parlor. At the northeast end of the complex was Corkhill
Hall, a recreation hall used as a community center for dances, church services,
movies, funerals and town meetings.
Remodeled in 1927, the Civic Center became the Amargosa
Hotel. In 1967, Corkhill Hall became Marta Becket's renowned Amargosa Opera
In 1956, the Pacific Coast Borax Company merged with United
States Potash Corporation to form U.S. Borax, which itself was acquired
by the Rio Tinto Group in 1967. As a wholly owned subsidiary, the company
now is called Rio Tinto Borax and continues to supply nearly half the world's
borates. It operates the largest open-pit mine in California next to the
company town of Boron, in the Mojave Desert east of Mojave, California.
The Trona operation became part of Searles Valley Minerals.
|Searles Valley Minerals from Wikipedia
Searles Valley Minerals Inc. is a raw materials mining
and production company based in Overland Park, Kansas. It is owned by the
Indian company Nirma. It has major operations in the Searles Valley and
in Trona, California where it is the town's largest employer. The company
produces borax, boric acid, soda ash, salt cake and salt. It also owns
the Trona Railway.
The Trona facility extracts and ships 1.75 million tons
of chemicals per year.
Searles Valley Minerals Inc. is part of Climate VISION
(Voluntary Innovative Sector Initiatives: Opportunities Now), a public/private
partnership which is seeking to reduce US industry greenhouse gas emissions
by 18 percent between 2002 and 2012. As it operates on government owned
land, Searles Valley Minerals Inc. pays royalties of millions of dollars
each year to both the federal and state governments. Much of those royalties
cover the expenses of local school districts.
The assets of what eventually became Searles Valley Minerals
Inc. have a long and varied history.
Founded in 1914 as the American Trona Corporation, it
began the production of potash in 1916. After becoming the American Potash
& Chemical Corporation in 1926, it began producing borax, soda ash
and sodium sulfate. Productions of these chemicals continued to expand
throughout the 20th century. In 1962 the company received nationwide recognition
and an award for its innovative solvent extraction process to recover boric
acid and potassium sulfate from weak brines.
After World War II, the company has endured frictional
labor relations with allegations that Latino workers were paid lower wages
than Whites. Since then, Latinos have been able to find equal footing and
have risen to managerial positions.
In 1967, Kerr-McGee Corporation (now a subsidiary of Anadarko
Petroleum Corporation) acquired American Potash and Chemical Corporation
and they held operations of the Searles Valley facilities until 1990. That
year the operations were purchased from capital investors D. George Harris
and Associates which formed the North American Chemical Company.
Ownership changed yet again in 1998 when IMC Global Incorporation
acquired North American Chemical Company.
The company's current incarnation was set up in 2004 when
Sun Capital Partners purchased IMC Global Incorporation and renamed it
Searles Valley Minerals, Inc. In November 2007, Nirma, based in Ahmedabad,
India purchased the company from Sun Capital Partners.
The California Department of Fish and Game (DFG) has noted
that salt toxicosis has killed over 4,000 birds in brine ponds produced
by the Trona plant. The DFG made an agreement with the company in 2005
to allow a certain number of bird deaths, if the company to paid $300,000
for a new wetlands area in the southern Owens Valley on the main migratory
There are allegations of arsenic poisoning of plant workers.
SVM argued in a letter to the State Water Resources Control Board, that
concentration of total dissolved solids, chlorides, sodium and other minerals
are higher in natural ephemeral pools than in the company's depleted brine
The Searles Lake brine is rich in arsenic, and a unique
anaerobic, extremely haloalkaliphilic bacterium which uses arsenic for
respiration has been isolated from the mud.
|All articles submitted to the "Brimstone
Gazette" are the property of the author, used with their expressed permission.
The Brimstone Pistoleros are not
responsible for any accidents which may occur from use of loading
data, firearms information, or recommendations published on the Brimstone
Pistoleros web site.